Geo-Fences can now be downloaded directly from Telematics Guru onto supported devices, allowing for a wide range of new applications, including:
- Setting custom speed limits on private property, such as a mine site, and triggering a buzzer when the driver exceeds the limit.
- Disabling cellular communication (and GPS fixes for a period of time) in a sensitive area, such as at an airport, or on an oil rig.
- Using alternate logging parameters to increase battery life
- Turning on a vehicle's emergency lights in a specific area.
For a full list of supported devices, contact your local Digital Matter representative.
Setting the Server:
First the device must be configured to download the geofence via OEM:
- Edit the admin parameters of the device and add the "Geofence Server" tab.
- Ensure your device has the correct firmware version.
- Change the "Geofence Download Server" to your custom Telematics Guru URL and click Update.
Configuring the Geo-Fence Download:
The geo-fence downloads are grouped by asset type, allowing for intelligent management, and fast application of this feature. The process for configuring a geo-fence download for an asset type is as follows:
- Navigate to Admin->Asset Type Geo-Fences and select the desired asset type.
- Click "Create Geo-Fence Asset Type Setting"
- Select a geo-fence to download and edit the desired fields. Not all features are available on all devices (for example, the Oyster does not have outputs, and so the 'Digital Output Settings' will have no effect).
- Click save, and repeat for each geo-fence to download
The minimum and maximum speed can be set for the geofence, and the device can be configured to buzz if its speed is not between the limits, alerting the driver that they must either speed up or slow down, depending on the situation. This buzzing option is only available on devices with either an internal buzzer, or digital outputs that have been configured to act as a buzzer, like the G100.
The speeds can also be used to override the speed limits on Telematics Guru if the "Override Speed Limit" checkbox is ticked. If so, then Telematics Guru will use these speeds in the speed banding calculations (TG Pro required). For further information click on the following link: Speed Monitoring in a Geo-Fence.
Track Assets in Geo-Fence
The Telematics Guru "post-processing" system analyses asset activity after the trip and can provide some advanced statistics. When this is enabled for Geo-Fences, these statistics are available:
- Number of visits to the Geo-Fence.
- Time spent in the Geo-Fence.
- Distance travelled in the Geo-Fence.
This must also be enabled for the device. For further information please consult: Tracking Asset Activity in a Geo-Fence
The moment a device recognises it has entered or exited a geofence (dependant on the logging parameters), it can be configured to upload, which in turn could be used to trigger an alert (either an SMS or email). For information on how to set an alert on Telematics Guru, please consult: Configuring an Alert
Digital Output Settings
Digital outputs can be set based on whether a device is inside, or outside specific geofences. This could be useful if you wanted to turn on a vehicle's emergency lights in a designated area.
This feature will only take effect if digital outputs are supported by the device. If you are unsure, please consult the relevant device datasheet.
If the device gets a GPS fix inside a no communications geo-fence, then it will not use cellular communications until it gets a GPS fix outside the fence. If the duration is not set, or set to 0, then the device will operate normally with trip tracking and periodic GPS fixes, with the exception that it will not attempt an upload.
If the duration is set to anything other than 0, then the device will not attempt any GPS fixes or any uploads. It will go to sleep and not monitor anything until the time period expires. Once the timer has expired, the device will attempt to get a GPS fix. If it is still inside the fence or the fix fails, it will sleep for the same period of time, otherwise, if it is outside, the device will continue as normal.
If this is set, the device will use the alternate set of geofence logging system parameters configured on OEM. This can be used to intelligently manage the battery life of a device.
Enabling the Geo-Fence Download for a Device:
Choose the Asset Type on the Edit Asset screen:
- From Assets->Manage Assets, either create a new asset or edit an existing one.
- Go to the General Tab of the Edit Asset screen.
- The fence downloads are grouped by Asset Type, so set the desired asset type.
Tick "Enable Geo-Fence Download" on the Edit Asset screen:
- Go to the Advanced tab of the Edit Asset screen.
- Tick "Enable Geo-Fence Download"
- Click Save.
Done! The next time the device connects to OEM, it will download the geo-fences.