Table of Contents
It is possible to update the Nordic nrf9160 modem firmware over the air.
Things to consider:
- Modem firmware cannot be downgraded!
- Many networks approve specific modem firmware versions - not always the latest. Ensure you check which version is approved for use on your network before upgrading!
- Ensure your main device firmware is set to 1.3 or above
- Edit your admin parameters
- Enable Modem Updates = Yes
- Select your desired modem FW version
Devices are shipped on 1.3.0. This is the approved version on some networks, and given downgrades are not possible - this is what is required. This allows all users to set the required version by either leaving as is on 1.3.0, or updating while provisioning devices.
Which version am I currently on?
This can be seen on the device details page in OEM Server
A 'Modem Version' column can be added to the grid to view many devices at a time.
- Click Select Columns
- Field chooser will open, drag Modem Version into the Grid