The G120 has the capability to accumulate run hours and odometer readings. This feature is disabled by default and has to be enabled in the "Odometer" parameter in OEM first to be able to use it.
Many platforms calculate this server-side based on device data, so it is not always necessary to configure this feature in order to track run hours or asset odometer readings.
To enable the feature, from Parameters -> Edit System parameters -> Add parameter -> Odometer.
- Log Odometer and Run Hours Meter Readings
- If enabled, the device will include the current odometer and run hour estimates in the end of trip device log.
- Log Trip Distances and Lengths
- If enabled, the device will include the distance travelled and time elapsed during the trip in the end of trip device log.
- Always Log Device Odometer and Run Hour Meter Readings
- If enabled the current odo and run hour estimates will be sent with every log
- Always Log Trip Distances and Lengths
- If enabled the trip distance and time elapsed estimates will be sent with every log during a trip.
How are these readings Calculated?
The odometer values are not read from the vehicle, instead they must initially be set by either an async message or an SMS. The device then uses second by second GPS positions and speeds to estimate the distance travelled and increment the odometer reading, allowing for an approximation of the vehicle's on-board odometer. Time and Distance readings are accumulated while the device is in trip.
The G120 has different methods of entering trip.
- Ignition - The white ignition wire connected to an ignition source.
- Movement Trips - Based on GPS movements
- Run Detect - Based on change in eternal voltage
Please see Overview of Operation - [G120] for information on how each trip method works. 1 and 2 are set up by default. This means, if the asset is towed the readings will be incremented. To avoid this, set the Digital Input to None from the Movement Trips parameter tab. By default, this is set up as Emulated Ignition.
Setting Initial Values
Setting the Odometer via SMS
Please see this article for information on SMS commands to set up odometer and run hours.
The Digital Matter SMS App provides an alternative to using a mobile phone, and facilitates setting the ODO for many devices in bulk.
The commands are:
E.g. #*,RHOURS,5200 To set 5200 hours of run-time
Setting the Odometer via ASYNC Message
The device's odometer reading can be set via an asynchronous message sent from the server. Consult the DM WebAPI integration document for details.
What if my device resets?
The run hour and odometer values are stored in non-volatile memory. This means that if the device loses power, or otherwise resets, they are preserved - meaning the values won't become inaccurate if the device ever resets.