By default, the Oyster Edge is setup for movement-based tracking. The following default settings apply:
- Out of Trip (stationary): 12 hour heartbeats. This is a position and an upload every 12 hours.
- In Trip (on the move):
- Upload on movement detection.
- Location scans every 3 minutes.
- Upload every 30 minutes.
- End a trip after 5 minutes of no accelerometer movement.
- Upload on movement end.
- The Oyster Edge detects trips based on accelerometer activity (vibration/jostling)
- It takes around 4 seconds of accelerometer activity to begin a trip
- The trip will end after 5 minutes of no accelerometer activity
- Accelerometer wakes the unit
- By default, a wake filter is applied. The filter only starts a trip when it has seen 1 second’s worth of above-threshold movement in a 4 second period, or repeated short movements over several 4 second periods. Disabling the filter results in any accelerometer movement above the Wakeup Threshold (in Accelerometer Settings section of System Parameters) waking the unit.
- Unit immediately determines it is moving – this is the same as entering a trip.
- Once moving, the accelerometer no longer wakes the unit
- It wakes every thre minutes on a timer, and does two things:
- Asks the accelerometer if there was any movement in the last 3 minutes
- If it is time to log a position, it gets a fix and records it
- Once the accelerometer claims there has been no movement for a while, (default is 5 mins - Movement End Time parameter), the device declares movement has stopped.
These settings and many more are configurable in the OEM Admin Interface.
The defaults provide a good starting point but it is important to monitor and tweak your settings to ensure the battery life is acceptable. Contact support if you require assistance.
Change the Tracking Mode
These parameters can be changed, as the Oyster Edge has various configurable tracking modes in order to best fit the use case.