The Oyster Edge can be mounted on the asset to be tracked using screws, bolts, cable ties, or industrial adhesives. When choosing a mounting point, you have two competing goals:
- To minimise the chances of the device being accidentally crushed, dislodged or discovered by a thief.
- To maximise GNSS scanning and mobile reception and provide adequate ventilation.
Key mounting notes:
- Avoid installing the device in a completely enclosed metal box.
- Avoid installing in a location that will result in elevated temperatures. For instance, mounting the Oyster Edge in direct sunlight on the dash of a non-ventilated cabin may cook the batteries, leading to abnormally short service life.
- If installing in a potentially low signal environment, check the signal strengths reported in device data.