The Geofence Download feature allows for some useful functionality. For a guide - check out Common Concepts - Geofence Downloads to Device.
This article shows an example configuration - setting up a device so that a buzzer will sound if the asset is travelling over 40km/h within a geofence.
OEM Server System Parameters
- First the device must be configured to download the Geofence via OEM:
- Edit the Admin Parameters of the device and add the "Geofence Server" tab.
- Ensure your device has the correct firmware version.
- Change the "Geofence Download Server" to your custom Telematics Guru URL and click Update.
If you're not sure of your URL, you can see it in Telematics Guru >> Admin >> Url Manager.
Once the device has checked into OEM server and downloaded the new parameters, the 'Admin' tag in 'Pending Updates' column with disappear.
Telematics Guru: Enabling Geofence Downloads
While creating your asset from new, or editing an existing asset;
- From Assets->Manage Assets, and click on the Asset name, or the cog menu on the right and select 'Edit'.
- Since Geo-fence download parameters are grouped by 'Asset Type' in the General Tab of the Edit Asset screen you can set the desired asset type.
Then select the 'Advanced' tab and Tick "Enable Geo-Fence Download" on the Edit Asset screen, this gets the device to look for the Geofence download from OEM
Geofence Asset Types
The Geofence downloads are grouped by asset type, allowing for intelligent management, and fast application of this feature. The process for configuring a Geofence download for an asset type is as follows:
Navigate to Admin->Asset Type Geo-Fences and select the desired asset type. (An individual 'Asset Type' is created in Admin > Asset Types, and assigned in Assets > Asset Manage)
- Click "Create Geofence Asset Type Setting"
- Select a Geofence to download and edit the desired fields. Not all features are available on all devices (for example, the Oyster does not have outputs, and so the 'Digital Output Settings' will have no effect).
- Click save, and repeat for each Geofence to download
Buzz While In A Geofence
The digital output of the device will need to have the function set up. Select the device in OEM and go to Parameters -> Edit System Parameters -> Add Parameters and choose the Digital Output that your attachment is using. The function will need to be selected as Buzzer.
Once the buzzer function has been set, you will need to set the digital output as active while inside the geofence. This is done via the geofence asset type settings that was done while setting up geofence downloads. After that has been saved, the output will be active while the device is inside the geofence.
Buzz Over A Speed Threshold Inside A Geofence
Like the example above, the digital output will need to be set in the OEM system parameters. The difference now would be in the geofence asset type settings. You would set up the max speed for the threshold you require, check the buzz when over max speed box and leave the digital output 1 as not geofence dependent.
When these settings are in place, along with the digital output setting in OEM, the output will buzz only when inside the geofence and the speed goes over the max speed noted.