Introduction to Parameter Templates
A Parameter template is a grouping of settings that can be applied in bulk to devices of the same type. They are separated in to 2 categories, namely Admin and System parameters. Admin parameters being device connectivity settings and System parameters being device operational settings. To create and set Parameter templates please visit the OEM Server- Getting Started article.
Editing Parameter Templates
Once created and applied you may need to alter the Parameter template to apply the required changes to a collection of devices.
To edit a Parameter template please follow below steps:
- Select a device that already has the Parameter template applied on it, edit the settings as required and save the settings.
- Use the new settings on the device to create a new Parameter template
- Apply this Parameter templates to the devices you want to effect the changes on
- Delete the old Parameter if it is obsolete.
As you may have noted we effectively do not edit templates but rather create a new template and apply it across all the required devices. Directly editing a template can cause confusion so they must be left immutable
- If we change a template name/settings, we can become confused if multiple users have access to OEM
- Should the changes be applied to all devices currently on the template, or not?
In both cases keeping templates fixed avoids any potential errors.