Telematics Guru (TG) is a full-featured Telematics software for end-users. This guide will introduce some of the TG basics.
Before you Start
You will need a Telematics Guru Username and Password for your account, if you do not have one, please contact Digital Matter support to arrange provision.
As of mid-2018, TG is hosted in a number of regional data centers. This improves performance and scale-ability. Telematics Guru can be white labelled at a 'Partner' level with logos and colour themes. Partners are specified with a URL prefix, for example; https://partner.telematics.guru. E.g. https://dme.telematics.guru or https://yourbranding.telematics.guru.
Setting Up your Organisation
Organisations are used in Telematics Guru to separate different end clients. You can have many organisations under one company, where end users usually log into an organisation to view their assets. Organisations need to be set up and structured by the account with partner level permissions.
- A Partner usually has many organisations beneath it. It has the option to create Organisations with their own URL and logos (white labelling)
- (Your Customer)
- Organisations sit below Partners in the TG hierarchy. An organisation is a distinct grouping of assets. A client will log into an organisation.
- Users can be mapped to multiple organisations but belong to a 'home' organisation. To edit a user account, it must be edited from within this home organisation.
You can switch between different organisations using Account/Switch organisation in the top right of the screen. Ensure you switch to the right organisation before completing actions such as creating Assets, Users, Geo Fences, etc.
To set up an organisation log into telematics guru and select 'Admin' > organisations from the top menu.
- Click New
- Fill out details for your new organisation, Name, description
- Select type of organisation, ALR stands for 'Asset Locate and Recover', is a cheaper,limited subset of TG.
- Set up your email and SMS providers, default is often a good start. SMS' are billed by the provider at 25c/SMS.
- Reports - Select the reports that your Client would like access to, these can also be scheduled to be delivered.
- Under customisation, you can upload the client's logo or set up custom info input fields for Assets.(Asset - Manage Assets - Edit - Info Tab)
- You can also add in or limit the functionality of the organisation, though these are often best left to more advanced users.
A greater level of detail for organisation set up is available here.
Creating a New Asset
In TG, navigate to Assets >> Manage Assets and click 'Create New Asset' and a screen with nine tabs will appear.
General - This tab contains some labels used to track devices and filter reports, name, description, asset type, department name etc. Projects can be used in a variety of reports and situations with tracking and GeoFences. The Asset Serial Number is found on the back of the physical Asset and is usually a six digit number, the Asset type will automatically update once the serial is inputted. Note: An asset can only be assigned to one organisation at a time. From here your asset is ready to track! You can save and start tracking or continue to add more details.
- Info - This tab is used to record information about the asset and is the tab that contains the three custom fields set up when you created the organisation.
- Photo - Photo of asset, location etc.
- Alerts - Select the alerts that this asset will trigger for. Alerts are set up in Admin >> Alerts.
- Installer - Optional input fields to record installer details.
- Advanced - This tab has a large amount of options for the more advanced users such as changing the 'asset state' verbs, assigning assets to states, speed profiles or whether it will be included in interactions with Geo-Fences that include projects, tracking or downloading Geo-Fences to devices.
Geo-Fence device download
- I/O Mappings - Input/Output mappings contain the options to add in, remove or alter what the analogue/digital I/Os are used. Digital mappings are basically inputs or outputs that you can enable or disable depending on a set of parameters . Bits 0-7 commonly have defaults configured in OEM, but 8-31 are open to be allocated.
- Log Events - Click to select the optional log events; overspeed (speeding), excessive idling or harsh braking.
- Drivers - You can assign drivers to this asset and also enable driver tracking which can either test against a specific list of drivers, or all enabled drivers. This is critical for usage of immobilisation and Driver ID Tag On.
Driver ID & Immobilisation
Tracking History Overview
The history of an asset can be represented in a few ways.
- Trip History Map View: Trips for an asset displayed on the map
- Point History Map View: Locations of non-trip based assets on the map
- Manage Trips: See the trips of an asset in table form.
- Asset Timeline: See the events in a list
- Asset Daily Coverage Map: show all the trips that assets did on a specific date.
- Destination History Map: start and end of trips shown between specific date range.
To change settings for an asset between point and trip based
- navigate to Manage Assets
- then Edit Asset
- then I/O Mappings and
- click the check box marked 'trip based' for trip based tracking or, uncheck for point based tracking.
Using the location and trip data, you can also schedule TG to send alerts when certain distance parameters are approaching or met on certain devices.
Navigate to Maintenance >> Maintenance Schedule and click on 'create new schedule' and assign a name to which asset the schedule pertains to and click next.
- Assign your Asset, and select which address book recipient is to receive the notification generated by TG,
- make sure to check the boxes at the top whether you want a reminder for the upcoming maintenance job and/or a schedule change alert.
- The next screen has what measurements the schedule will track and alert by.
- There are two types of values, absolute or relative.
- If you check the box next to each unit type, odometer, run hours, calendar, you can use an absolute value to send reminders when this limit has been reached.
- If unchecked, the reminder will be activated after the next declared amount.
- Whichever unit of measurement is reached first will generate the alert, then the limits will be reset.
- Under Maintenance >> Job & reminders you can view the list of outstanding or upcoming maintenance jobs. to action the job, click 'complete Job'.
TG supplies many pre-configured reports, and also a customisable report. to view all reports, click on Reports >> All Reports. This selection includes reports such as:
- Admin Reports
- Data Exports
- Event Reports
- Fleet Reports
- Run Hour Reports
- Speeding Reports
- Trip Lists
Administration Menu - Alerts
Alerts are an important part of any monitoring because they allow exception based reporting. Here we will present some of the simple setup options using the wizard, for a more advanced setup, try the 'New Alert (Advanced)' option.