The are 3 steps to assembling an Oyster:
- Insert batteries; SIMs; etc.
- Put the device together
- Seal the device.
This article focuses on step 2. For a full description of the setup and assembly, please see the Getting Started Guide for the product.
- Take care not to touch the antennas and components. Take electro-static precautions. If possible, only handle the battery holder. Otherwise, touch the outside edges of the PCB only.
- Seal the device correctly to achieve the IP67 rating.
Assembling the parts of the Oyster:
The Oyster products are shipped with their parts orientated correctly. Sometimes they will need to be dis-assembled to insert the SIM or inspect the device. When re-assembling the device, take care to orientate the various parts correctly.
These are important points when re-assembling the product:
- The PCB should placed antenna first into the cover. You should be able to see the batteries and LED when the PCB is in the cover. You should NOT see the GPS antenna when in the cover.
- The PCB locates on 4 plastic protrusions in the cover. These are not symmetrical. If the protrusions do not fit into the PCB, rotate it 180 degrees, but keep the antennas facing into the cover.
- The cover is symmetric and can be rotated 180 degrees without a problem.
- The cover has a strip of foam to hold the batteries firmly in place. This should be in contact with the batteries when closed.
Oyster lids should be fitted with a sticker to queue the correct orientation:
This diagram shows the antennas going into the cover, and the battery side against the lid.