Geofences can be utilised in a number of ways that enable you to track asset details such as time spent inside/outside of, distance or hours travelled inside of specific locations. You can also use Geofences to manually set speed limits for areas, and update location based data to a custom string.
|Setting up||Enable Tracking data||Alerts||FAQS|
Setting up a GeoFence
Creating a Geofence from the Live View or Trip History View
To set up a Geofence from the Live View or Trip History View, right click to display the menu options of Create Geofence Here or Hide Geofences
This link then opens up to the main geofence screen with the desired area zoomed to fit
Creating a Geofence through the Admin Menu
- From the Main Menu, click on the Geo-fences Icon
- Click "New Geo-Fence"
- You can type an address into the "search for location" bar and hit enter to be taken to that location on the map
You can now adjust the zoom level using the plus(+) and (-) functions on the bottom right corner of the map, and once you see the area that you wish to create a zone for, use your cursor to click points outlining the shape, ensuring that your last point meets the first point you created, as show below:
Once you have clicked on your starting point the geo-fence shape will appear and you can adjust the shape by dragging any of the nodes shown by arrows below:
Lastly, name your geo-fence and then click save, now the name given to your geo-fence will appear in all of your trip history and reports.
For advanced options click on Show advanced options.
These are the advanced settings:
1. Priority: Geo Fences with a Higher priority are shown preference over those with a Lower priority. Where two Geo-Fences overlap with the same priority, the fence with the smallest area will be shown preference.
2. Exclude from trip assignment: If selected the Geo-Fence will only be used for setting up location based alerts. It will not be used when looking up trip start and end locations
3. Track asset activity in Geo-Fence: If selected, the system will record statistics for the asset activity inside this Geo-Fence
4. (not shown) Set Maximum speed for GeoFence. This feature can override bad local speed records. This is useful if Google (or another speed provider in TG) has incorrect speed data for an area. If that is the case, tick the "Override Other Speed Sources" checkbox. This will cause the TG speed monitoring to ignore the local looked up speed
Tracking Asset Activity in GeoFences (Time on Site)
The Telematics Guru "post-processing" system analyses asset activity after the trip and can provide some advanced statistics. When this is enabled for Geo-Fences, these numbers become available:
- Number of visits to the Geo-Fence.
- Time spent in the Geo-Fence.
- Distance travelled in the Geo-Fence.
This is useful to determine the time an asset spends on site.
To enable Geo-Fence Activity Tracking, 2 actions are required:
- Tick "Track asset activity in Geo-Fence" on the Geo-Fence edit screen as shown above and,
- Tick "Track Asset Movement in Select Geo-Fences" on the Edit Asset screen.
- From Assets->Manage Assets, either create a new asset or edit and existing one.
- Go to the Advanced tab of the Edit Asset screen.
- Tick "Track Asset Movement in Select Geo-Fences"
- Click Save.
Reporting on Geo-Fence Activity Tracking
Once enabled, TG will record stats for the asset in the selected Geo-Fences. This information is available in 2 reports:
- Asset Geofence History Summary: provides a summary of Geo-Fence activity. Expect 1 line per Asset and Geo-Fence combination, summarising the information over a period.
- Asset Geofence History Detail: provides a more detailed view of Geo-Fence activity, itemising each visit to the Geo-Fence and providing statistics about the visit.
Setting Up a Geo-Fence Alert
A Geo-Fence alert is one of the pre-set up alerts so creating one is super simple. On the top menu bar, click on Admin >> Alerts and then select "New Alert Wizard" and you'll see this screen.
- Step one is selecting the Geo-Fence alert from the drop down menu
- Select your Geo-Fence Name under the left box and choose either to send the alert when an asset enters or leaves the Geo-Fence, click Next
- Select the Asset(s) that the alert will apply to, click Next
- Nominate the destination contact for the Alert
- Name your Geo-Fence, Click Save
Alerting based on Project level
When you assign the conditions in the Alert, you can assign a Project group of Geofences instead of multiple individual geofences.
This scenario could be useful if you have multiple sites with assets travelling between them, or having assets that you want an alert on when any of them leave one of the sites.
To assign the geofences, select the project from the dropdown in admin -> geofences -> edit -> advanced options
- To create a project, go to TG -> Admin Menu -> Projects
When you have one Geofence inside another, which takes priority?
Geo Fences with a Higher priority are shown preference over those with a Lower priority. Where two Geo-Fences overlap with the same priority, the fence with the smallest area will be shown preference.